Because it’s Monday (my official rest day! yey! :P), I would like to share some essential internet terminologies you should know or you can use on your freelancing career. Maybe it’s already familiar to you or maybe it’s not. If I missed anything here, just feel free to add it on the comment form…^_^ Let’s go!
- WWW or World Wide Web – it is often a resource where we usually encounter next to “http://” whenever we browse a web page.
- Web browser – it is a program where you can search for a web page that includes the mozilla firefox, internet explorer, chrome, safari, etc.
- Cookies – it is used to track your activity across visiting different websites and it recognize you identity when returning to a certain page.
- Spam – these are unsolicited messages or emails that sent to you and it is something for a promotional purpose. Be careful if you go this thing on your inbox asking for your account information or anything private about you.
- CAPTCHA – it is a term that is formed in an image that you need to type whenever you register a website for a security reason. By this, automatic registration process can be avoided as well as the spammers.
- Browser Cache – as your browser saved every web pages, cleaning your cache is also important as it interfere the speed of your PC system, emailing and disk space. Click here to let you know how to clean your browser cache.
- Bookmark – this is where you can store your favorite page so you can go back on it anytime. Bookmarking is also a term being used for SEO or Search Engine Optimization. There are what you’ve called the bookmarking sites where you can do the process.
- Blogging – it is a process where an interesting content is published online based on the specific niche. It can also be used for an internet marketing techniques.
- Niche – if you are promoting or writing for a website or business, you must know your niche or the subject you should focusing on. There is always a topic within a subject you can build.
- FAQ’s – it is an abbreviation of Frequently Asked Questions to explain products and the possible problems that a customer can have.
- FTP – or the File Transfer Protocol to upload or download files from one computer/server to another. I personally use Core FTP Le.
- Homepage – it is generally the first page whenever you visit a website which is the starting point for a user to access the highlighted information.
- Microsoft Office – it is a business software or application for a desktop with programs such as word, excel and powerpoint that you need to download for every project you are managing.
- Search Engine – it is an internet tools like Yahoo and Google where you can search on the Web using keywords and phrases.
- URL (universal resource locator) – it is simply means a website starting with “http://” that identifies the location and type of resource on the Web.
- Skype – this is always demanded by prospect client during the interview for them to communicate with you via chat or calls. Just simply download skype online, register and you’re ready to go!
- SEO or Search Engine Optimization – it its the process of promoting or optimizing a website to attract visitors that can be done through building links using HTML code, BBCode and Anchor Text Link.
- SMM or Social Media Marketing – it is the the process of gaining traffic or visitors to a website using the social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, etc.
- SEM or Search Engine Marketing – a form of Internet marketing to promote websites by increasing their visibility in search engine result through the use of paid placement, advertising and paid per click system.
- HTML/BBCode/Anchor Text Link – This is done by careful attention to various metatags and attributes in the code. You can view the codes from the page by clicking View > Source in the menu of your Web browser for any Web page and it shows you the source code there. This code can be used for building backlinks on the specific page where you are trying to promote your business that is click-able in a keyword form.
- Buyer/Employer/Client – they are the one who hires or control a worker or provider under a contract or project.
- Provider/Contractor – they are the one who provide service for employers in a per hour or fixed price assignment.
- Assignment/Project/Contract – it is a task to be assigned, to assign or for bidding.
- Paypal – the common payment method that is widely used by employers and contractors.
- Google Adwords – is a service from google that lets you create and run ads for your business through an advertising network in a per click ads.
- Google Keyword Tool -you can use this tool in order to find the right keywords to use on your article or website and to establish the competition on your niche.
- PR or Page Rank – this tool is use to determine the value and the reputation of a website on the internet market. I personally recommend you to use SEO Book Toolbar as it is very accurate and reliable.
These are just the basic terms and I know there’s a lot more. If you are new to freelancing, then you need to be familiar on these. Whether you are learning more so you can improve your own understanding on the business or just want to be able to communicate better with your clients, I encourage you to keep studying.
Gotta go! 😉